ReachOut is a mentoring charity working with children in disadvantaged areas to raise aspirations and help them grow in character and attainment.
We improve self-confidence and develop Numeracy, Literacy and Communication skills whilst reinforcing our core values of Fairness, Self-Control, Good Judgement and Staying Power.
We do this through one-to-one mentoring with positive role models and team activities, to promote leadership, trust and responsibility.
ReachOut are funded by the CEC to improve the outcomes of young people in Oldham
- Oldham was ranked 34th out of 326 areas in England, on the 2015 Index of Multiple Deprivation, 1st being the lowest (most deprived).
- Schools are improving overall but a quarter of state-funded secondary schools require improvement or are rated inadequate, and too many children and young people in Oldham fall behind. This trend can be seen from early years education and through primary and secondary schools, with disadvantaged pupils* often making the least progress.
Reach out target groups
ReachOut partners with schools to support disadvantaged young people reach their full potential through our one to one mentoring programme.
ReachOut are currently running 7 Mentoring projects in Oldham across 3 schools with a capacity to support 112 young people.
Oasis Academy Oldham 32 young people from Y8
Newman RC College 32 young people from Y8
The Co-Op Academy
Failsworth 48 young people from Y7-9
The programmes run a minimum of 28 weeks October 2017 to June 2018
Mentoring with ReachOut
- A network of like-minded professionals, each group will have up to 16 from various industries and sectors.
- Individual help and advice on how to get the most out of your mentoring relationship
- A regular opportunity to support a young person reach their potential and overcome barriers
- An opportunity to develop your professional development
- A single point of contact who will support your volunteering journey once you have chosen your project
- ReachOut mentor training & Enhance DBS Additional training (optional)
- Exclusive invitation to ReachOut events.
Kash has helped massively by introducing ReachOut to schools and businesses and networks.
Notable Kash has introduced ReachOut to the following:
- Dawn from Doing Biz For Yourself
- Ultimate Product
- Web Applications
- Oldham College
- Oldham Hulme Grammar School
We have recruited 59 mentors of 112 required in Oldham namely from the University Campus Oldham, Oldham College and a few local businesses.
Volunteering with ReachOut – particularly at The Co-Op Academy Failsworth, Oasis Academy Oldham and Newman RC College.
Mentoring with ReachOut couldn’t be easier. – https://www.reachoutuk.org/sign-up-to-mentor
FAQs can be found here – https://www.reachoutuk.org/mentoring-faqs
Contact: Davy Cheema – Volunteer and Workshop Officer